Wednesday, May 16, 2012

MRI, Kennedy Krieger

Ok, so this is a shorter post because I am gonna do another one later on health, wellness, and herbs. 


So, here's where we are: MRI. My MRI was negative for tumors and vascular issues. It was positive for an abnormality in the nerve sheath over my left frontal lobe. What does this mean? Who the heck knows. I have been instructed to not worry about it at this moment and we will check into it again way later unless I start having neurological symptoms. So, if you know me, you know I called my dad straight away and started asking questions. My father, a retired DO (Osteopathic Physician for those who don't know), told me that it could mean almost anything. I could have just been born that way. We don't have any previous MRI to reference, so who knows. Also, there are a number of rare neurological diseases that can cause a thinning of the nerve sheath, but usually this is all over the brain, not just in one particular spot. Also, it could have happened when I was in my car accident back in 2002, or the one in 2004 (I was a careless driver before those accidents, and I learned my lessons well!) The accident may have caused trauma to the brain in that area and therefore caused the thinning of the nerve sheath. Who knows. So we will just have to keep an eye out for anything suspicious. But hey, no tumors in my head, right?!! Yippee! Ok, so now onto the kids.


We had their 6 month appointment with Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore. The doctor, a neurologist, was pleased with their progress, told me not to worry about the stupid IQ numbers, and gave us information as to what to do with our concerns. We are going to look into behavioral therapy to address some of the issues that the kids have and look into occupational therapy for the displaced aggression that our daughter has. My husband went with me and was like, "Why did we come all this way and what did this accomplish?" True it wasn't inspirational or anything, but we did get some new info and some of my anxiety was lessened. So it was a good visit all in all. Plus, the staff there is so wonderful and they don't look at me like I am a terrible mom. To them, I am normal...whatever that is :)



No comments:

Post a Comment