Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weekend difficulties and revelations

After a weekend with friends, a stressful day of a non-compliant daughter, and, yes, even I cry sometimes, some tears, I have decided to finally take some action on the subject of our twins with PDD. This weekend I realized that we need help, and serious help at that. This weekend I almost hit my breaking point. I realized that my husband and I have differences of opinion as to the abilities of our children, and that we have differing opinions on how to discipline. I understand that my husband has a day job that is demanding, frustration, and mentally and physically draining, and that he expects me to be able to pick up slack and keep our ship afloat, but now it is time for a reality check. It's time for self preservation mode, and that means it's time to take action and get some education and professional help with our kids' disabilities, or I am gonna go bonkers! Our son is doing well with the way we are dealing with him, but our daughter isn't. She is defiant, and our friend, who is in education, pointed out that maybe she is ODD as well as PDD. I think I might agree. She is definitely defiant. and she is defiant on purpose. So we are gonna take action and see what we can do. If anyone has any suggestions, please comment. Share with me your stories, your ideas, your disciplinary measures, what works, what doesn't, etc. If you don't know anything to tell us but a friend has a similar situation, have them comment. We need community on this. It takes a village to raise a child, and with ours it might take a whole state! Right now I am thinking about going to our local college, who has a master's program in special ed, and asking if I can sit in on one of the special ed classes pertaining to behavior. I am also researching online about the subject of PDD and behavior. If anyone has an idea, let me know. 

OTHER THAN THAT: Our weekend with our friends was great. It was so nice to see our friends. We met this couple at Fort Hood, Texas and we had not seen them in over a year and a half. It was a great change of pace! They are the same as we remembered them...except with a new addition, their 15 month old baby, EJ. *sigh* We have missed them. Their son is a hoot and totally cute. I hope we get to visit with them again sooner rather than later! It was good to have the fellowship along with the outside perspective on our kids! Anyways, that's it in a nutshell for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment